In this how to I am going to show you how to backup your Synology NAS to an external hard drive. This will be a very simple mirror backup, meaning that you will be able to access all of the data on the External drive using a file explorer; No messy extracting or restoring of backups.
- Head to the Synology Package Manager and install the Hyper Backup Package
- Once installed, open and select the plus button in the bottom left corner. Select data backup
- Select Local folder & USB (Single version)
- Select the backup destination, it will begin with usbshare for your external HDD
- Select your folders to be backed up
- Choose any applications you wish to backup
- Choose a name and directory (folder on the external HDD). If you would like to leave files you delete from the NAS on your backup HDD, then tick the “Reserve the backed up files at the destination”.Also select a schedule.
- Select apply to save your backup.