I recently had a client come to me and ask if he could dictate his emails to his computer; similar to how he does on his iPhone. At first, I thought I would need some specific software, most likely paid. As he uses G-Suite it would also need to work with a web browser. After some research I discovered that windows 10 has an inbuilt way to dictate text, it even works in any text field! It is super simple to activate and I’ll show you how below.
- Press the “windows key” and the “H” key at the same time
- You will see a bar at the top of the screen asking you to enable the speech setting. Click the link and it will open your settings
- Toggle the switch to “On“, then close settings
- Now press “windows key” + “H” again and the bar will open, this time it will ask you to select a text field
- Select a text field, be it a Word Processor or Browser and press the little microphone on the left of the bar. It will then begin listening for dictation. It will transcribe the text in real time
- If you need to bring up the bar again you can simply press “windows key” + “H“. Once initiated it should stay on screen until your pc is restarted or shutdown