This is a project I have been working on for my house. It makes a nice Photo Display with weather and the time. It can be easily customised to suit your needs. Below i will detail the project and how to set it up on a Raspberry Pi.
- First you will need to install Raspbian, the fastest way is to download the image from the raspberry pi site. Once downloaded extract it with 7 Zip and then write it to an SD card using etcher from etcher.io.
- Once the SD card is inserted into your Raspberry Pi you can turn it in and it will boot into Raspbian.
- Next we will need to install Apache, Open the terminal and run the following steps….
- Install – sudo apt-get install apache2 -y
- Install PHP – sudo apt-get install php libapache2-mod-php -y
- Download my files (Link at bottom) and add to the /var/www/html folder. Open this folder using terminal (as you need elevated privileges to move files), run the command – sudo pcmanfc
- Add your own images to the folder and the PHP will automatically find them.
- Run the code to disable the screen from going off and disable the mouse cursor.
- sudo apt-get install -y chromium-browser ttf-mscorefonts-installer unclutter x11-xserver-utils
- sudo leafpad /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
- In the text editor that pops up change the line @xscreensaver -no-splash to #@xscreensaver -no-splash
- Next add the following
@chromium-browser –kiosk –start-maximized –incognito http://localhost
@xset s off
@xset s noblank
- Close and save the text editor.
- To change the name on the PHP page simply open it with a text editor like atom, change the name in the h1 tag and save it.
- To change the weather location you can go to this site https://weatherwidget.io and put in your location. Press get code and copy the URL for the widget into the widget on the PHP page using a text editor.
- And thats it you should now have a working information screen / sideshow. Feel free to edit the page however you like. Plug it into a nice monitor and enjoy. You could also share the web folder via samba and add photos via the network. How To: Raspberry Pi Shared Folder
- Also if you need to close the sideshow to work on the PI just press Ctrl + Shift + Q
File – PHP Webpage Files and Folder