After setting up Plex on my Synology NAS, I was confused that it seemed to be very difficult to install an SSL Certificate. After much time and research I found a relatively simple way to install your Synology NAS’S SSL certificate on Plex.
- First you will need to go to Control Panel on your Synology NAS
- Go to Security and select Certificate from the top tab
- Select the small arrow next to add and select export certificate
- You will then receive a zip file.
- Next go to https://indy.fulgan.com/SSL/ and get the openssl executable, this will download a zip file
- Now unzip the zip files from step 4 and 5 into one folder
- Right click on openssl.exe and select run as administrator
- Run the command pkcs12 -export -out lakeside.jarrods.example.pfx -in cert.pem -inkey privkey.pem -certfile chain.pem -name “lakeside.jarrods.example” (Replace both lakeside.jarrods.example with your domain name)
- Enter a password for the certificate
- Now a file will be exported, the name will be ****.pfx (The name you specified above)
- Upload this file to the Plex folder on you Synology NAS
- Log into Plex and go to Settings -> Network -> Advanced settings
- Enter the Path to your file in the “custom certificate” option. Then enter your password into the “custom certificate encryption key” option.
- Enter your domain name in the “custom certificate domain”
- Select save
- In Package Manager, go to Plex and restart it
A big thank you to this post on Imgur https://imgur.com/a/9UKLh